Sunday, January 31, 2010

Spiritual Formation Exercises for 1.30.10-2.6.10

Use the following devotional exercise at the beginning and end of your day. Find a quiet place and take 10-15 minutes to go through either the morning or evening section. You may wish to bring a journal with you to write down what you feel like God is saying to you or any other thoughts or struggles you may encounter.


Scripture - Romans 12:1-2 (The Message)
So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.


Morning
At the beginning of your day read the above passage through one time.
Read it a second time but slower and taking note or write down any words or phrases that stand out to you.
• What do you feel like God may be speaking to you about in these verses?
• What might it look like to live these verses in your life today?

Scripture as Prayer
God, I take my life, my ordinary life and everything it entails today – sleeping, eating, going to work, and walking around and I place it before you as an offering. I embrace what you have done for me and what you continue to do in me. Help me this day to not simply go with the flow of the culture around me but instead to pay attention to you in all things. Change me Lord, from the inside out. Help me to recognize what you want from me and to quickly respond to Your will. Bring out the best in me today as You make me more like You. Amen.


Evening
Get quiet and invite the Holy Spirit to come and guide you as you reflect on the day. Read the above scripture from Romans slowly. Reflect on your day – the good, the bad, and the mundane...
• Where did you find yourself encountering God?
• Where did you find that you were turning your attention to God?
• When looking back on your day when did you see yourself just simply going through the motions?

Close by praying the above prayer based on Romans 12:1-2. Simply thank God for when and where you have noticed him in your day and ask God to help you to stay aware of His presence as you close the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment